Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The insurance - Ground school

It strikes me as funny when people who are not familiar ask about "What does the FAA require to fly this and that". Although, those of us active in aviation realize that once you're through with the FAA, the insurance companies are the next in line dictating who can fly "this and that".

I'm currently in process with my Trusty CFII, MEI Charlie Monette working my way through the "approved" insurance program for the Baron. Over time - Charlie's managed 3 or more Baron's of the 55 and 58 flavor.

Saturday, we spent 5 hours of intense review of the Airplane Pilot's Operating Handbook with excruciating detail covering page by page of the systems in the plane. I on the other hand had ALREADY read the POH several times. When Charlie started to inquire about parts of the plane, I told him what I knew and then pulled up the Beechcraft Part's Manual and Shop Manual. I explained to him that I bought the parts manual from Hawker Beechcraft and acquired the shop manual. He laughed and said "That's a first", no one had brought the complete parts manual to any of his ground schools in 40+ years. I think that combined with my extensive high-resolution photo collection of the plane impressed upon him that I was "studying".

No comments:

Post a Comment